LOW CARB CAKE
In order to prepare a low carb cake like this, it is not necessary to use flour, neither wheat nor other cereals, nor is it necessary to use almond flour or other nuts, and you do not need starch, corn or tapioca.
It may be a little surprising, but the base of this cake is eggs, mixed with a dairy product, yes, sweetened and flavored, there is no more.
To make a mixture of eggs and dairy resemble a cake and not an omelette or scrambled eggs, the question is in the manufacturing technique.
The "low carb" tart is a light and flavorless cheesecake without flour.
This cake is very easy to make and everyone likes it, it has a very smooth texture and the flavor depends on the dairy you use, the cake you see in the image was made with skyr and its flavor is quite acidic, but if you choose Greek yogurt or cream cheese, it will be much softer.
Skyr is also a creamy cheese, although its presentation in individual terrines makes us think that it is a yogurt.
Skyr is characterized by being high in protein and low in fat, its flavor is much more acidic than that of yogurt or cream cheese that we usually consume here.
This dairy comes from Iceland where it has been consumed for a long time, and a few years ago it was introduced in the British and American markets.
Many benefits are attributed to the skyr, the main one being its high protein content and its low fat content, it contains hardly any sugars and its texture is thick, more of cream cheese than yogurt.
If the flavor of the skyr is too acidic, use Greek yogurt that has a softer texture and a much sweeter taste. With cream cheese you will get the same result as with skyr, but with much more cheese flavor.
If you want to give cheese more flavor, you can grate the one you like best and add it to the mixture.
This low carb cake has very few ingredients, egg and dairy are the two main ones.
This tart is a low carbohydrate option because it is sugar-free, flour-free, and starch-free.
It seems incredible that this texture can be achieved with so few ingredients, right?
I suppose you already know the recipe for "cloud bread", cloud bread, which is made exactly like this, with eggs and spices, sometimes you add almond or coconut flour to give it more consistency.
It is one of the most classic recipes on low carb and ketogenic diets to substitute bread, I used to do it for that purpose when I started my diet change, I did not do it for a long time and lately I have recovered it.
Do you remember the controversy that was mounted a few years ago? I do, but honestly, it seems absurd to me, that if it is not bread, if nutritionally it is not convenient, etc.
That cloud bread is not bread, it is evident, I think that nobody wants to give a cat for hare thinking that their audience does not have enough intelligence to know it.
And I tell you the same about this cake, IT'S NOT A CAKE, in case anyone doubts it.
This cake is NOT a sponge cake, it is a light egg-based cake, very similar to cheesecake
It is a healthy option to satisfy the desire to have a dessert when you are following a low carb diet.
It is essential to know that even if you follow a certain eating style, you have to look for alternatives to some foods that we are very used to and that we find it hard to give up, for example a dessert on the weekend or a piece of cake the day of your birthday.
And the novelty that I have introduced is this, turning it into a sweet cake, into an easy and light dessert, giving it the sweet touch and trying different dairy products, accompanied by fruit or chocolate.
The result is great and it is worth trying it, it is one more option in our cookbook.
Why I like this cake so much:
- It is low in carbohydrates, which means that it is very light and digestive and that its impact on blood glucose levels is negligible.
- It is a versatile recipe, you can enhance its flavor in different ways, and you can make a sweet or a salty version.
- Its texture is very soft and fluffy, literally melts in the mouth.
- Suitable for dessert, but also for breakfast.
- Kids love it.
If you liked this recipe, you may also like:
LOW CARB CAKE
The low carb tart is made from eggs and a dairy, does not contain wheat flour or starches. It is an easy and delicious sugar-free recipe.
- 4 camperos eggs (they are small)
- 150 g skyr / greek yogurt / cream cheese
- 1 teaspoonful stevia (the sweetener will have to be measured by you, depending on the one you use, the proportions usually come in the container)
- 1/2 teaspoonful chemical yeast
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoonful lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoonful vanilla (Optional)
- lemon zest (Optional)
Elaboration step by step
Separate the whites from the yolks.
Beat the egg whites until stiff with a few drops of lemon juice and a pinch of salt. Reservation.
Preheat oven to 200ºC
In another bowl mix the yolks with the sweetener, the dairy you have chosen, the chemical yeast, the vanilla essence and the lemon zest, (these last two are optional).
When you have it well integrated mix the two parts of the dough, that is, the yolks and the meringue, do it carefully, with enveloping movements so that the meringue does not lose air.
Line a round pan with baking paper, cut a circle the same size as the base and put it on the bottom, cut a strip for the walls, glue the strip to the mold with butter, I recommend that you do it because this cake sticks a lot .
The size of the mold can be 15 cm in diameter, but high, or a mold of 18 cm.
Bake for about 30 minutes at 160ºC, this is indicative, it will depend on your oven, it is essential that you watch continuously so that it does not burn.
Keep in mind that you have to bake the cake at a low temperature so that it cooks on the inside and does not burn on the outside, so it is better to have a lower temperature and longer.
When you think it is pricked the cake with a toothpick and if it comes out clean you already have it.
Remove from oven and let cool. Attention !, it will have gone up a lot and it will go down a lot too, do not be disappointed please, this is so, it will not look like a high and firm cake.
Store the cake in the fridge a few hours before consuming it and serve it with fruit, with homemade compote, with a red fruit sauce, with melted dark chocolate or without anything else because it is delicious. Enjoy!
- With these quantities you get a small cake, you can take 4 servings, if you want to make a large one, double the quantities and use a larger mold.
- To sweeten this cake naturally you can use lucuma, coconut sugar or powdered dates. Of these three, I prefer lucuma for its low GI.
- If you want your cake to have more cheese flavor, the solution is easy, add grated cheese, the one you like the most, it can be Gruyère, Emmental, Parmesan, Manchego, goat cheese.
- Do you prefer a salty version? Forget about the sweetener and add a little more salt in addition to some spices, you will have a kind of quiche without dough, but with a softer and fluffier texture. (Remember that to make the quiche without dough, you don't usually raise the egg whites until stiff.)